Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year, New Me, New Books

A startling revelation hit me last night as I prepared myself to go back to work. I had not read one book over Christmas break (two weeks mind you) for pure pleasure. Oh I had read definitely. There were back issues of The Reading Teacher to catch up on. I devoured several educational books including What Really Matters for Struggling Readers and Everyday Editing. Being a literacy education geek, these books were fascinating and fun. However, I worried that I was loosing my reading mojo.

Since the beginning of the 2011-12 school year I have read, read, and read books, magazines, articles, websites, and even tweets all centered on education. I’ve stretched my beliefs, expanded my thoughts, and broadened my education network. This is awesome! I love my job! I love learning! But there was something missing. That feeling of settling in with a book, and only a book. That’s right-no highlighter, no pen and paper for notes, and no bending of pages because I just have to show my coworker what I discovered Monday morning.

I spend so much time as a literacy educator thinking of ways to entice children into reading, ignite their passion for books, turn them into lifelong readers. Almost half of all Americans NEVER read for fun! (Scary statistical stuff!) Modeling for my students is key but I had lost balance in my own reading life. So my New Year resolution is to add some frivolous books into my mix. I’m going to get lost in a story. I’m going to cozy up in a chair with a book I can’t put down. I’m going to storm the library looking for titles to add to my repertoire. Perhaps I will even get invited back to my book club (because I’m reading things that don’t need teacher lingo translations)! New Year, New Books, New Me!

My Will-Read List:
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Foer
Catherine the Great by Robert Massie
The Sisters by Nancy Jensen
Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton
The Tiger’s Wife by Tea Obreht

Of course, because I am still an eduwonk at heart, these titles as well:
10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know by Jeff Anderson
Comprehension Going Forward by Various Authors
Catching Readers by Barbara Taylor
Cognitive Coaching: A Foundation for Renaissance Schools by Arthur Costa
Enhancing RTI by Doug Fisher and Nancy Frey

No comments:

Post a Comment